Sleepyhead Beds is a nonprofit charitable organization serving greater Kansas City. Its mission is to provide a bed and warm bedding to area children in need — everyone knows that a good night’s sleep is essential, especially for a growing child.
Think of what a bed means to you or your child or children you know – comfort, safety, privacy, rest. Every night in Kansas City, approximately 1 in every 42 children will lie down without a bed to call their own. They lie on the floor, they crowd in bed with their siblings, or they sleep in a shelter.
Who are these children?
- Victims of domestic violence
- Children with disabled parents
- Our littlest citizens living in poverty
- Children removed from their homes and placed in foster care, always a special child who by no fault of her/his own doesn’t have the comfort and stability of a bed.
Why don’t they have beds?
- There is currently no resource in our area to provide beds for those in need. Kansas City has some great organizations that supply food, housing, medical care, clothing and more, but no one else is equipped to handle beds.
- The upfront cost of a bed is overwhelming to those in financial stress.
- Those fleeing domestic violence do not have the time or resources to take their bed, let alone the money to buy one after escaping.
- Many of those in need have moved recently (and/or move frequently) and are unable to provide transport of their own beds.
Sleepyhead Beds was dreamed up while its founders were working with Jackson County CASA and Operation Breakthrough. They discovered that thousands of Kansas City kids were without beds of their own and that existing community resources were not equipped to handle beds.
The creators of Sleepyhead Beds then thought of the outgrown beds sitting in garages and basements of the people they knew and sent out an email plea. The response was overwhelming, and a light bulb went off. The idea is simple. Sleepyhead Beds takes gently-used, unwanted mattresses and bedding, sanitize and sterilize them, and distribute them to children in need. There is no application process – as long as they have beds, the beds go to any children that need them. They will pick up and distribute your donation of new or gently-used mattresses, box springs and bedding; and in turn, provide the comfort of beds to little heads.
So join them and keep the mattresses out of basements and garages, out of landfills, and give these kids a cozy place to lay their heads. Sleepyhead Beds are always looking for new or gently used mattresses and bedding. Their immediate needs are: mattresses, box springs, bedding, new mattress pads (any of these in twin, full or crib sizes) and new pillows. They also thankfully accept donations of time, talent and funds.
A great way to donate to this cause is to the spread the word! Tell your family, friends, co-workers, congregations – anyone and everyone. If you’re at a loss for words, feel free to copy and share this article. Also visit the website for more info: www.sleepyheadbeds.org . From the site you can sign up for email, set up donation pickups and drop-offs, and contribute. Perhaps you might consider this or a similar project in need as an alternative Christmas gift for someone on your list.
Your support is appreciated!
Compiled from information provided by friends of Sleepyhead Beds and from their website.